Iran says suspect behind Natanz plant attack identified | Israel News

The Iranian authorities name the 43-year-old Reza Karimi as the perpetrator of the nuclear power plant attack. He fled the country.

Iran said it identified a suspect linked to a recent explosion and power outage at its main Natanz power plant when talks began in the Austrian capital to try to save the country’s nuclear deal with world powers.

State television said the 43-year-old man named Reza Karimi fled Iran before last Sunday’s explosion, which he had accused of arch-rival Israel.

It showed that it was a photo of the alleged perpetrator on a red card that read “Interpol Wanted”.

“The necessary steps are underway to arrest him and return him to the country through legal channels,” the report added.

Israel has not officially accepted responsibility for the attack, but has not imposed censorship restrictions on its wide coverage by local media. Some of them have explicitly stated that the Israeli espionage agency Mossad is responsible.

The attack on Iran’s main nuclear facilities resulted in a major power outage and damaged an unknown number of centrifuges.

State television also broadcast footage of rows of centrifuges replacing those damaged in the explosion at Natanz’s uranium enrichment facility on Saturday.

The report added that “a large number” of centrifuges whose enrichment activity had been disrupted by the explosion had been returned to normal operation.

Meanwhile, officials from the remaining parties to the 2015 nuclear deal – Iran, China, Russia, Germany, France and the United Kingdom, as well as the European Union – hopefully closed a formal meeting in Vienna, where various parties said progress had been made.

Representatives of the United States, who unilaterally left the agreement and imposed sanctions on Iran in 2018, were again in a different hotel, and Europeans shuttled between them and other representatives.

The deal prevented Iran from storing enough highly enriched uranium to track a nuclear weapon if it chose to have economic sanctions lifted.

Following the talks, the Iranian chief negotiator said that a “new understanding” appeared to be forming between all sides as a result of the work of two working groups – one to determine which sanctions the US should lift and one to determine what nuclear measures Iran must take – have been checked.

“There is now a shared view of the ultimate goal between all sides, and the path to be followed is a little better known,” said Abbas Araghchi, Iranian deputy foreign minister and experienced negotiator.

“Although it won’t be an easy path. There are some major differences that need to be resolved, ”he added.

Iranian nuclear chief Ali Akbar Salehi said the country started producing 60 percent enriched uranium on Friday. Iran has announced that it will use it to manufacture molybdenum and ultimately to manufacture radiopharmaceuticals.

Iran had previously increased its uranium enrichment to 20 percent after a leading nuclear and military scientist, Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, was assassinated in November. The nuclear deal limits the country’s enrichment to 3.67 percent. For use in weapon quality, an enrichment of 90 percent is required.

Iran insists that its nuclear program is peaceful, despite Western countries and the United Nations nuclear watchdog say Tehran has an organized military nuclear program by the end of 2003. An annual US intelligence report released on Tuesday confirmed the US’s longstanding assessment that Iran is not currently attempting to build an atomic bomb.