Follow Al Jazeera’s live updates on the conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the breakaway region.
- Iran warns that conflicts could lead to regional wars
- Additional casualties among Armenia-backed troops have been reported
- Allegations of mass displacement in ongoing clashes
08:32 GMT – Putin calls for a stop in Nagorno-Karabakh
Russian President Vladimir Putin called for a halt to the fighting in the Nagorno-Karabakh region, saying the deadliest fighting between Armenian and Azerbaijani armed forces in more than 25 years had been a tragedy.
In an interview with state television, Putin said he was in constant contact with Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan about the conflict.
07:36 GMT – The Iranian President warns that the conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia could turn into a regional war
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani warned of the danger that the conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia could turn into a regional war.
“We have to make sure that the war between Armenia and Azerbaijan does not turn into a regional war. Peace is the basis of our work and we hope to restore stability to the region in a peaceful way, ”Rouhani said on TV announcements.
He also said Iran would not allow “states to send terrorists to our borders on various pretexts”.
07:32 GMT – Conflict “displaces half of Karabakh’s population”
Half the population of Nagorno-Karabakh has been displaced since fierce fighting broke out between Armenian forces and Azerbaijan more than a week ago, ethnic Armenian officials in the breakaway region said.
“According to our preliminary estimates, around 50 percent of the population of Karabakh and 90 percent of women and children – or around 70,000 to 75,000 people – have been displaced,” Artab Beglaryan, ombudsman for rights in Karabakh, told AFP.
Al Jazeera tries to verify Beglaryan’s claim.
07:30 GMT – The death toll among Armenia-backed troops rises to 280
The Nagorno-Karabakh region defense ministry said it had recorded an additional 40 casualties among Armenia-backed troops, bringing the death toll to 280 since fighting with Azerbaijani forces began, Interfax news agency reported.
Good Morning. Farah Najjar in Doha and Anealla Safdar in London will bring you the latest information on the Nagorno-Karabakh crisis today, Wednesday 7th October.
Here is a quick summary:
The fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh continued for a second week as Armenia and Azerbaijan clashed over the breakaway region.
Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said his country could make concessions in the region if Azerbaijan did the same.
So far, the two rivals have ignored international appeals for a ceasefire and accused each other of civil and military casualties since the September 27 clash.
Violence occurs regularly in the breakaway region, located in Azerbaijan but controlled by ethnic Armenians. However, recent fighting has raised fears of an all-out war.