On September 21, unfinished Carnival parades will take place in the Samba school workshop of Unidos de Padre Miguel in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Silvia Izquierdo / AP
The world famous carnival parade in Rio de Janeiro has been postponed to 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The head of the League of Samba Schools, the group that organizes the two-day parade, announced the decision during a press conference in Rio de Janeiro on Thursday.
“Science has advanced a lot, but not enough to give us a guarantee that the population will be vaccinated by February,” said Samba League President Jorge Castanheira during a press conference.
Castanheira said no new date had been set for the parade, which was due to take place in late February.
The pre-rented vacation usually draws millions of Brazilian and foreign tourists to Rio de Janeiro. More than 2 million people came to the city in 2020, bringing in more than $ 700 million in revenue, according to the state tourism agency Riotur.
Riotur’s incumbent President Fabricio Villa Flor told CNN Brasil on Friday that he would arrange a meeting with the organizers of the samba parade to set a new date.
“We are going to discuss the possibility of a new design (for the parade) but it is difficult given the large crowd of people who perform during the carnival,” said Villa Flor.
According to the latest data from Johns Hopkins University, Brazil has the third worst coronavirus outbreak in the world after the US and India with more than 4.6 million cases.