Look up there in the sky – it’s a bird, it’s an airplane … it’s President Donald Trump?
The New York Times reported Saturday that President Trump floated the idea of a stunt when he left Walter Reed National Military Medical Center after receiving treatment for COVID-19. The plan was for Trump to appear frail when people first saw him. Then he undid his button-down shirt and revealed a Superman t-shirt.
Ultimately, he stopped doing the stunt.
During his brief appearance at the White House on Saturday, Trump saw several teal shirts among the attendees. “I want to wear one of them instead of a white shirt.”
Of course, the Superman reveal brought out the twitterati for some kryptonite comments. But a backer who played the Man of Steel thought that was a good idea.
It would have been unforgettable. https://t.co/bRFQpJCkf8
– Dean Cain (@RealDeanCain) October 10, 2020
Also reminder: Superman is an adopted immigrant. https://t.co/mJ8QIPegNw
– Steve Marmel (@Marmel) October 10, 2020
If Trump had released Willy Wonka from the hospital like that, I really don’t think my mind would have stayed on track. https://t.co/YziyYTXohc
– Ben Jenkins (@bencjenkins) October 10, 2020
25. Change for the Superman stunt idea alone. https://t.co/akPO6o4fWv
– Mike Birbiglia (@birbigs) October 11, 2020
However, Superman was known to be against the Nazis… pic.twitter.com/HA3xSxv08n
– Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthi (@CongressmanRaja) October 10, 2020
“Dang, Superman! You really let yourself go! “https://t.co/MX22v1kVu3
– Tea Pain (@TeaPainUSA) October 10, 2020
Here are people who should be wearing a Superman costume: #Blue pic.twitter.com/EVCUQHmB9c
– Michael Beschloss (@BeschlossDC) October 10, 2020
I know superman. Superman was a hero of mine. President Trump, you are not a Superman. From @nytimes: pic.twitter.com/MtasJB71Gc
– Preet Bharara (@PreetBharara) October 10, 2020