Khabib Nurmagomedov believes Ukrainian cruiser Oleksandr Usyk is one of three men who, alongside Vasiliy Lomachenko and Canelo Alvarez, can challenge heavyweight king Tyson Fury for the title of pound-for-pound boxer.
The man had applied for the UFC’s best fighter and initially forgot about British WBC champion Fury when asked to name the best fighters in the sport. He corrected himself before admitting that he “really wants” as Usyk tries to become the first man to hit him.
Dereck Chisora, who praised Usyk’s skills ahead of his fight with another British boxer on Saturday, praised retired Russian lightweight Nurmagomedov, saying the first cruiserweight to hold all four main belts could upset tactician Fury.
When asked which boxers he could choose as the best, Nurmagomedov replied: “At the moment I think three guys. Oleksandr Usyk, Vasiliy Lomachenko and Canelo Alvarez.
Also on rt.com
Broadcasting giant DAZN “targeted UFC champion Khabib” as an opponent in negotiations over a $ 365 million deal with boxing star Canelo
“Oh, sorry – Tyson Fury too. Four people. It’s very hard [to decide] Who is the best.
“I really want to see Usyk against Fury. It’s going to be a very good fight. [Usyk] has very good skills and techniques, also Tyson Fury.
“He’s not like other heavyweights: more technique, his footwork is very good, his condition is very good. I really want to see Usyk against Fury. “
Former three-weight title holders Lomachenko lost a career-second loss decision against Teofimo Lopez in Las Vegas earlier this month.
Canelo seems to be in limbo this year and is currently in a legal battle with DAZN over his record deal with the US broadcasters.
The current pound-for-pound official number one has claimed he was frustrated with his inactivity because he hasn’t fought for the WBO light heavyweight crown in November 2019 since beating Russian Sergey Kovalev.
Fury is just behind Canelo in the BoxRec rankings, while Lomachenko and Usyk are both in the top ten according to the other four established lists.
The heavyweight appeared to announce that he had given up a trilogy fight with recent victim Deontay Wilder over the weekend, adding that he is expected to fight in England on December 5th.
The 32-year-old could fight Anthony Joshua in a lucrative all-British double-headed ball next year, although Joshua has to win against Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev on December 12 at the O2 in London.
“I’m working on some opponents,” Fury told fans on social media on Saturday. “I’ll let you all know who it will be shortly. Check out this room – the return of the Mac.”
Also on rt.com
“I Moved On”: Tyson Fury Says He Will NOT face Deontay Wilder’s trilogy fight in 2020, which will take place in the UK in December